Washington's Purple Hearts in
Submitted by Jan Lord, 4th (King's Own) Reg't of Foot
Exeter New Hampshire.
- Total number of known Purple Hearts issued by General George Washington during the Revolutionary War - 3
- Number of those Purple Hearts earned by men from Connecticut - 3
- Number of original Purple Hearts on display at the American Independence Museum in Exeter, New Hampshire - 1 out of 2 remaining
- Number of drafts of the 1787 Constitution now preserved in the museum's collection - 2
- Number of first printings of the Declaration of Independence now in the American Independence Museum in Exeter - 1 out of 25 known to exist.
- Amount of time it took for word to reach Exeter that the Declaration of Independence had been signed on July 4, 1776 - two weeks.
- Amount of time after the Fourth of July that Exeter now celebrates Independence Day with an elaborate three-day Revolutionary War festival - two weeks.
From the July, 1996 edition of Yankee Magazine, Dublin, New Hampshire. See their web site at: http://www.NewEngland.com.